Friday, November 28, 2008

THE ATTACKS - A FIRST PERSON ACCOUNT


IndiaUnite co-founder Smriti Mundhra wrote this piece for the New York Daily News - a first person account of the attacks, as she was trapped in her apartment by the Oberoi:

It is Night Two of urban captivity, and I'm getting restless.

I carefully bypass my sleeping parents and sneak up onto our rooftop terrace to breathe in some fresh air, which I desperately need after being trapped indoors for the last thirty six hours.

There, I have a birds-eye view of the action on the streets of South Bombay below.

What I see looks pretty familiar - but feels eerily different.

The streets and alleys are empty - not unusual at two in the morning - but sirens ring where music may normally drifted up from a nearby late-night hookah cafe. A guard in uniform paces where tipsy college students may have walked the street arm-in-arm in search of a taxi.

The fires at the five-star Taj and Oberoi hotels, both within an eighth of a mile from my roof, have been extinguished, but both grand buildings, whose lights always shine are now pitch black.

Click here to read more

No comments: