Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Reflecting

I was just checking out our friend Janera's website/blog - an online destination for global opinion and writing - and came across the post about the vigil we held in the wake of the attacks. Remember you can still light a candle for remembrance, it is never too late.

Mumbai Vigil in New York

This week has been another one of change, for the world and for me. While the terrorists attacked the Oberoi and the Taj in Mumbai, I was packing boxes, purging belongings that no longer served me. And as I was schlepping my stuff up five flights, the Indian special forces raided the Jewish Centre exterminating the remaining terrorists. Though I followed the news on NPR, I must admit that I was preoccupied with adjusting to my new environment.

Last night however, I went to a vigil for those who were killed in Mumbai, organized by Benita Singh and Shruti Ganguly. I went to pay my respects and to mourn the victims. A small group gathered at the Jivamukti studio on Union Square. Except for myself and one American who had come with his colleague, all were Indian.

We exchanged stories. One guy mentioned the power of globalization. His mother, who lives in New York, had seen what had happened in Mumbai on the news and phoned her brother there to warn him not to take his usual train. She had known before her brother what was happening in his town.

Click here to continue reading

No comments: